The Hall-Fowler House, a fine example of Italianate architecture, was built in 1869-1870 by Captain Lucius Mills for Frederick Hall. Mr. Hall had settled in Ionia in 1841 and had become a major buyer and seller of pine land. He was also a noted public official serving in the state legislature and (in 1873) as the first mayor of the newly incorporated city of Ionia.
In 1903 his daughter, Marion Hall-Fowler, deeded the house to the city of Ionia with the stipulation that it be forever used as a public library. The building became a Michigan Historic site in 1992.
In 2003 the library district became known as the Ionia Community Library, however, the Hall-Fowler building continues to be used.
For more information see:
Postcard courtesy of Mark Patrick
Last update March 17, 2009