Pewamo Rural Agricultural School District
Pewamo Rural Agricultural School District was formed by the consolidation of 6 school districts in 1941.
Pewamo School (Lyons No. 1) [fractional?]
The first Pewamo school house is thought to have been built shortly after the founding of the town in 1859. The first mention of a school was in 1872 when the building erected at a cost of $1,800 was located on the north side of town on the northwest corner of North and
By (check date) the school had been moved to the present location of Pewamo Elementary at the end of Main Street. The first commencement at the school was held in 1888.
Little Brick School (Lyons No. 3)
The Little Brick School was in operation by 1865. The district used three school buildings with the last a brick school house on the northeast corner of Cook Road and Blue Water Highway just west of Pewamo. The district consolidated with Pewamo in 1941.
Spaulding School (Lyons No. 4)
The Spaulding School was located on the northeast corner of Spaulding Road and Dexter Trail south of Pewamo. The district consolidated with Pewamo in 1941.
Kimball School (Lyons No. 6)
The Kimball School was organized on October 7, 1844 with a school house known as Saw Mick School located near Greenview Point. Around 1864 the district split and the new Kimball school was built just west of the intersection of Kimball and Divine Highway. The district consolidated with Pewamo in 1941.
Vance School (Lebanon No. 1 fractional)
The district was formed in 1844 with the original school house on the southwest corner of Jones and Colony Roads. In the late 1860's or early 1870's a new brick school house was built on the northwest corner of Hubbardston and Colony Roads. At that time the district became a fractional district including the portions of North Plains Township, Ionia County sections 25, 35 and 36 east of the Maple River. The district consolidated with Pewamo in 1941 and the school house was sold and converted into a residence.
Bower School (Dallas No. 11)
While there were schools held at an earlier date, the earliest records of the district are from 1869. The school house was located on the northwest corner of Walker and Jones Roads just east of Pewamo. The school closed in 1926 and consolidated with Pewamo in 1941. Records are available at the State of Michigan archives and the Archives of the Clinton County Historical Society.
The Pewamo Rural Agricultural School District voted to merge with the Westphalia School District in 1959. In 1965 the Matherton School (North Plains No. 5 fractional) merged with the Pewamo-Westphalia School district.
Last update February 08, 2013